In light of UCLA Chancellor Gene Block’s plans to step down at the end of July 2024, UC President Michael V. Drake, M.D. has announced the formation of a search advisory committee to support the international search for UCLA’s next chancellor. President Drake will chair the committee, which is comprised of UC Regents, university faculty, staff, students, alumni and UCLA Foundation representatives.
The chancellor of UCLA is the campus’s chief executive officer, shaping the vision for and strategic direction of the campus as well as growing and diversifying revenue streams in support of the university’s mission. With responsibility for managing UCLA’s $10.2 billion budget, the chancellor also plays a vital external role, serving as a thought leader and working with colleagues around the world to address challenges and opportunities both at UCLA and across higher education. The new chancellor will take up the role at a pivotal moment in UCLA’s 104-year history, as the campus enacts a five-year strategic plan, deepens its commitment to inclusive excellence, expands in Southern California with new sites in Downtown L.A. and the South Bay, and extends its public impact across California and the world.
The chancellor reports to the president of the University of California, and serves as a peer and partner to chancellors of the other nine UC campuses. When a vacancy occurs or is imminent, the UC Board of Regents and the UC President each has a role in the appointment of a new chancellor. A search advisory committee with broad representation will help select the next chancellor, per Regents Policy 7102.
This website will continue to be updated with additional information.
Chancellor Search Advisory Committee
- Michael V. Drake, M.D., UC President (Committee Chair)
- Richard Leib, Chair, UC Board of Regents
- Gareth Elliott, UC Regent
- Ana Matosantos, UC Regent
- Janet Reilly, UC Regent
- Richard Sherman, UC Regent
- Jonathan Sures, UC Regent
- James Steintrager, Chair, Systemwide Academic Senate and Professor of English, Comparative Literature and European Languages and Studies, UC Irvine
- Linda Demer, Professor of Medicine, Physiology and Bioengineering, UCLA
- Andrea Ghez, Professor of Physics and Astronomy, UCLA
- Angela Riley, Professor of Law and American Indian Studies, UCLA
- Thomas Chi, Professor of Urology, UC San Francisco
- Alicia Miñana de Lovelace, Board Chair, UCLA Foundation
- Ann Wang, President, UCLA Alumni Association
- Ana Esquivel, Staff Representative, UCLA
- Naomi Hammonds, President, UCLA Undergraduate Students Association
- Noor Nakhaei, President, UCLA Graduate Student Association
- UCLA Chancellor Search Advisory Committee and Town Halls, Oct. 30, 2023
- Advisory committee named for UCLA chancellor search, Oct. 27, 2023
- A Personal Announcement from Chancellor Block, Aug. 3, 2023
Inviting Input from the Campus Community
Search committee members and consultants welcome input from the campus community on critical opportunities, challenges and priorities for the next chancellor, as well as ideal qualities and qualifications for the position.
The executive search firm SP&A Executive Search will assist in the process. Submission of nominations and application materials may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The search committee and consultants held virtual town hall sessions for Bruin students, staff, faculty and alumni on Nov. 8, 2023. Information gleaned through these channels will inform and guide recruitment efforts.